Use case

I find my self often use the autocomplete function of my last searches in the search box to find and access bookmarks and snippets I recently looked for. I figured out since I do that, why not make it easier. So I did - I added sort of quick access to my last searches directly from the side menu in the landing page. See it in action below:

Quick access to My Last Searches animation
Quick access to My Last Searches animation

One tricky part was to show the whole content of the search when its length passes a certain limit. That meant when hovering dynamically changing the content of the html anchor a element. This was even more difficult, because the list is dynamically generated out of the last searches. Let’s see how I implemented that.

Continue Reading ...

There are times when you need to set a css class of a html element dynamically in angular, given a simple or complex condition. This was the case for me when I had to set a different backround-color and color attributes for an anchor a html element to display the latest searches on the landing page of Codever

Continue Reading ...

Recently I wrote a few posts on my personal blog with lots of pictures. To save on bandwidth and load time it’s very important to reduce the size of the images. Which until recently I did manually in Preview, MacOS. It was a rather cumbersome manual process, that I automated with the help of Node.js/ExpressJS and Jimp In this post I will presently the implementation.

The code for this nad usage instructions are open source and available on Github

Continue Reading ...

You can now export your bookmarks and snippets from for backup or other purposes. You can do that by going to your dashboard and click Export my bookmarks button. A dialog will pop up to ask whether you want to see your bookmarks or snippets in the browser(this opens a new window) or save them as a json file:

Export my snippets

Continue Reading ...

In this post I will show how to fix the infamous Jekyll encoding exception on MacOS:

Conversion error: Jekyll::Converters::Scss encountered an error while converting 'assets/css/main.scss':
Invalid US-ASCII character "\xE2" on line 54

Well I got inspired from the solution presented here[^1] when starting a cloud image. [^1]:

Instead of starting the server for local development with the usual command:

bundle exec jekyll serve

I use the following environment variables before the command:

LANG="en_US.UTF-8" LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8" bundle exec jekyll serve

To make the solution permanent, I added the environment variables in my .bash_profile file:

# lang variables
export LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8"
export LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
export LANGUAGE="en_US.UTF-8"