- The problem…
- Types of Scaling
- Load Balance your scaled out cluster
- Is my application stateless or stateful ?
- Enter Replicated Clustering
- External store for stateful components
- Final frontier: Distributed In-Memory Cache
- Further reading (mostly Weblogic specific)
- Before I sign off…
To be honest, ‘scalability’ is an exhaustive topic and generally not well understood. More often than not, its assumed to be same as High Availability. I have seen both novice programmers and ‘experienced’ architects suggest ‘clustering‘ as the solution for scalability and HA. There is actually nothing wrong with it, but the problem is that it is often done by googling rather than actually understanding the application itself 😉
I do not claim to be an ‘expert’, just by writing this post 😉 It just (briefly) lays out some strategies for scaling Java EE applications in general.